Did you know that reading aloud to your child is one of the most important things you can do to help boost their literacy skills and their overall success in school?
Studies show that children who are read to regularly at home by an adult have an overall better success rate in school. Knowing this, you would think that all parents are reading at home to their children, but the fact is, only about half of all children ages 3-5 are read to on a daily basis.
Here some other benefits of reading aloud to your child:
- Reading with your child is a great way to bond.
- Reading on regular basis instills good reading habits and establishes reading as part of a routine.
- Reading to your child prepares them for school by increasing their vocabulary.
- Reading is part of language development.
- Language development takes place during the early years of brain development, and 90% of brain development takes place before a child's 5th birthday.
- Reading together can help instill a lifelong love for reading and learning.
- Reading together builds all sorts of literacy skills.
The Kauai Children's Authors Guild recognizes the need to support literacy efforts right here on Kauai. Please Join us for our Read Across Kauai Day event to be held on February 28th, 2014.
If your business or organization would like to sponsor books for children for the Read Across Kauai Day event, please contact us.